Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Challenged

Okay, I'm challenged! I've spent most of my life overvaluing my contribution to society and life in general. I am living proof of the over-statement "the older I get the better I was". My Mom recently endured brain surgery, the torture and humiliation of the following rehabilitation, another surgery, endless procedures, two more hospitals and now a hospice center. She has had strangers bath her, tend to her, poke and prod her for seven weeks now. While sitting in her hospice room yesterday morning early...just her 50 year old baby boy and his now aged Mom, she discovered a brief moment of lucididity. And in her clarity she didn't complain, worry about money, houses, clothes or objects collected over the years. She wanted to know if I was okay! She was worried about me! I'm not sure when I began my self centered journey of life and leadership. You would think that after all life has thrown at me in fifty plus years, I would have gotten over me by now - but I suppose it's a life-long lesson for some of us...starting with me. I've seen my wife, Jenny serve my ailing mother as if it were her own mother. I've seen her weep and clean and "mom-sit" when she was physically and emotionally exhausted and never miss a beat at our Atlanta Airport busy-like home. She is amazing. Truly amazing. I've seen how the many years of ministry spent building budgets and buildings could have been spent investing in people and caring for people - and the different imprint my life might have made. I don't know about you, but I will forever be reminded that when my Mom deserved to whine a little, when my wife could have griped a lot, they both were serving and concerned for others. By the way, Jesus said that if you want to be great, you must become a servant. He also answered the question of what was the most important commandment by answering to love God and love others. I've seen that at work, but not in the mirror. I think it's time to change that - starting now...how about you? May you leave a lasting imprint of loving service somewhere today. Peace, Chuck